[A/S] Re: Power Invertors

> I have a 2005, 28' International CCD, with 2 solar panels and
> want to get a power invertor for occasional boondocking. I would use
> it to run a coffee maker, a toaster, and maybe the 15" TV.

******************************

You'll probably be unhappy with the amount of power a coffee maker and a
toaster draw out of the battery...appliances that heat use a lot of power,
and I never recommend their use with an inverter in a boondocking situation.
You'd be better off using either a stove top coffee maker or something like
a French Press and toasting your bread in the oven when you're boondocking.

> The last statement obviously refers to a car but am I going to
> be in trouble in the Airstream with blowing fuses if I get a 400
> watt invertor? Do you think a modified power invertor is a good
> choice for me?

Check the instructions that come with the inverter before purchasing
it...many, if not all, inverters require you to connect them directly to a
12-volt battery if you are going to operate loads greater than 150 watts
continuously.  For example, my 400-watt Xantrex XPower Inverter has a
5-minute maximum power rating of 400 watts, a maximum surge rating of 600
watts, and a continuous power rating of 320 watts.  However, I would only be
able to run 320 watts continuously from it if it were hooked up directly to
the battery, but not from a 12-volt "cigarette-type" outlet.

Linda Hylton