RE: [A/S] restore 1961 31' as sovereign

Bill,

I would suggest taking it to a reputable Airstream dealer who has a good
reputation for service, and who has been around long enough to have worked
on an Airstream of your vintage. I would have him check it over and give you
a list of the items that need servicing (and cost estimates) as well as
those in need of major restoration or replacement, and a reading on the
expected life of the major components. This way you can intelligently plan
(and budget) your "restoration"

Assuming you want to use it for travel, you will initially want to have all
the major systems working, namely:

Safety towing items:
Wheel bearings (clean, inspect and repack with grease) brakes, shocks,
wheels and tires, running and brake lights, safety chains, hitch, breakaway
switch, tongue jack. Get a good hitch and brake controller (I would get a
Tekonsha Prodigy, and a Reese hitch with the proper spring bars.) Be sure
the hitch receiver on the tow vehicle is strong and properly installed, and
the ball height is correct for your trailer.

Plumbing and heating:
Water pump, water heater, toilet (and related plumbing, hookup water system
and pressure regulator, and tanks - fresh water, grey water, black
water[toilet waste]), Furnace (be sure it is safe and not able to put carbon
monoxide into the trailer), Kitchen/Galley - refrigerator and range and
exhaust fan, Propane system (regulator and gas lines).

Electrical system: Power converter and battery.  If the old Univolt is bad,
I would replace it with a modern Intellisync and Charge Wizard. Also, check
out the 120 Volt system. {I don't know if your year had aluminum wiring - if
so a potential problem (but not a show stopper).

The air conditioner is up to you. Useful in campgrounds when it is hot.
Ditto, the exterior. As long as it doesn't leak, I wouldn't sweat the
aesthetics initially. Here too, the awning (if so equipped) is not a
necessity, but a nicety.

My preference would be to get the trailer reliably operational - and USE it,
before spending any more time or money on it.  At this point you will have a
good idea how well you like it and what things you want to upgrade.

Others on the list can give you good suggestions as to reliable service
providers.

My preference would be to utilize a good Airstream dealer or service
facility rather than a general RV shop.  Although the systems on an
Airstream have a lot in common with other RVs, using mechanics who have
substantial experience working on them can usually do a faster, neater,
cleaner, less expensive job. If you can get the trailer to Tucson, I would
recommend Oasis RV without reservation.  Jay the service manager is
absolutely super, and his mechanics, excellent.  Plus they can fix just
about anything.

Good luck, and ENJOY. Don't be a slave to the restoration.

Oliver Filippi