RE: [A/S] Re: Duramax/Allison Driveshaft

I think you missed my point.  I was referring to the quality of the vehicle
so far as its primary capability was concerned.  Obviously, there are a lot
of value judgments a manufacturer makes in designing and producing a complex
product. However, I am sorry that you confused the color of the paint, or
the glitzy power fold down seats with the primary mission of the vehicle.

Sure, it has to be comfortable to drive and fit the driver.  (Which is why
the non American automakers have design studios in Southern California.) My
guess would be that the average Japanese would have trouble reaching the
pedals in your Yukon!

This is not to stick up for the value judgments GM made in designing your
vehicle. However, I think they made a lot of good value judgments so far as
the power train is concerned. If you read one of my recent posts, I
chastised American automakers for ignoring or misreading their market and
their customer's needs.

Don't sell American electronics short.  The quality and reliability of
American computer chips and related components are the best in the world.
Perhaps the ultimate compliment was made by Sony several years ago when they
designed and programmed their higher function Dish Network satellite
receiver in the USA.  When asked why the product was not designed in Japan,
Sony's response was, "Because the best computer designers and programmers in
the world are in the United States."

Oliver Filippi