Re: [A/S] Re: diesel

Two thoughts about diesel:

First of all, a diesel engine is designed to magestically pull large
weights, kind of like the Budweiser Clydsdales.  Few people who like to
ride horses would consider a draft horse as a pleasure mount ( tho there
are exceptions )  They are hard to get up on, need large expensive
shoes, and aren't going to beat anyone on the track.  For getting to
work or shopping or busing the kids,a big diesel pick up may not be
ideal.  ( I do, however, remember a diesel Rabbit with affection except
on very cold mornings).  A diesel pickup with enough muscle and broad
enough stance to pull a trailer over the Rockies and stay on the road in
moments of stress, is going to be a pain in the Mall parking lot, and
may not be an economical choice for a daily driver.

Second,  as the auto industry knows, we chose our vehicles for more than
economics or political statements.  We chose them because we like the
image, or think it will make us more attractive or look prosperous.  I
would venture to say that huge numbers of 4x4's never see driving more
stressful that the Mall at Christmas time. I have to confess to a deep
affection for my big bad black diesel truck.  Not only does it pull and
pull ( 2 motor homes out of the mud ! ) but it is high and commanding on
the road.  And best of all, I love the look of fear/ admiration/terror
on people's faces when I start it up with a growl like a saber toothed
tiger.  I love how it will do a dangerous lurch forward in a busy
intersection and stop traffic.  And I do love getting 18 MPG and 12
towing.  I like driving a vehicle that says I have something really
heavy to pull, a "serious " driver.  All very romantic and illogical, I
know.

Daisy  (getting hotter in Ocala )