[A/S] Re: Duramax/Allison Driveshaft

> Actually, I was very impressed with the engineering value judgments Chevy
> made on these trucks. For example, the tow/haul mode for the Hydramatic
> transmission - which will automatically change its shift points if the
> transmission starts to overheat, a transmission temperature gauge, and an
> engine which will get you home even without coolant in it. I think is shows
> a sincere effort to do a good job, and make a good product.

Sorry, but I disagree.  Having just bought a 2005 3/4 ton Yukon XL with
the 8.1L 6 months ago I am astonished at the obsolete level of both
design and technology.  A Japaneese minivan at half the price has
better electronics and controls, including such things as automatic
powered folding seats and tailgate.  Also, for such a huge vehicle, why
is legroom so limited?  If the rear seats could be slid fore and aft,
and the travel distance of the front seats were increased it would make
a much more comfortable vehicle.  There is only one reason for this:
GM has no competition for this type of vehicle.  They dodged a bullet
when Ford couldn't make the Excursion any better.  Since I still need
to use my tow vehicle as my family car, a pickup was out of the
question.  I had no choice but the Yukon, and GM knows it.  One day
Toyota or Infinity or Mercedes will sell a competing vehicle and give
GM a run for it's money - I hope.

Thanks for listening...

LA Phil