RE: [A/S] Hybrids as tow vehicles

Robert,

For what it's worth, the president of Robert Bosch (or president of Robert
Bosch, USA) has publicly stated that he (and the Robert Bosch company)
believe that the new technology diesel engine is the power plant of the
immediate future (until fuel cells or hydrogen power, etc. become
practical).  Bosch is a major manufacturer of fuel injection and computer
engine management systems.

He said that to this end, Robert Bosch is working on improved diesel engine
technology to be a major supplier for this anticipated growing market.

I personally believe he is correct.  I have owned several diesel
automobiles. Two Mercedes and currently a VW Jetta TDI (turbo direct
inject). The first Mercedes was the conventional normally aspirated diesel -
a very reliable car, but certainly not a hot rod.  The second Mercedes was a
second generation turbo diesel. Fantastic!  It was the first diesel
automobile which had none of the negatives typically associated with
diesels. It was quiet, didn't smoke (unless you really stomped on it) and
was fast. For example, climbing the long grade of California Interstate 5 at
Grapevine, the car could easily accelerate from 70 mph to over 95 if
necessary. Older diesels would have trouble just maintaining speed up the
grade.

My current 1.9 liter Jetta is a great little car.  It has remarkable
performance, even though the engine is relatively small. It is the current
diesel technology - common rail (high pressure fuel injector line) with
computer controlled injectors and computer controlled turbocharger and
transmission. [The power train is smarter than the driver!]  Runs like a
champ and delivers 33 to 38 mpg.  Friends who have ridden in it are totally
amazed that it is a diesel. On I 15 from San Diego to Las Vegas, the Jetta
has no trouble accelerating up the long grades and with air conditioner
running and typically delivers around 38 mpg.

Even though the fuel tank capacity is around 15 gallons, one doesn't have to
stop for fuel very often.

Oliver Filippi