Re: [A/S] Ref. the Bambi for sale

For the guy in Texas, ask in New Mexico.  I know their
laws a a little more relaxed.  But, they always want
original owners signature upon sale.  A little hard to
do when some one dies.  I went to Washington state,
where they wouldn't accept my New Mexico auto title.
This is what they did.  They gave me current
registration for 3 years in a row.  They said, if the
ownership was not contested within that time, they
would re-issue a new title, to the vin.  They did.  I
also had to do that with my trailer, because I had not
registered it for 3 years in a row in new Mexico, so
New Mexico removed the vin number from the system.
Even though I had the original title, and old
registration, New Mexico would not do anything about
it.

In California, if you're dormit for 7 years, then the
vin is expunged from the system.  The only 2 states
that I know of who will re-issue title to the original
vin are Washington and Alaska.  Once they issue you a
title, you can take it anywhere.

California also decided a few years back that there
will no longer be any 'L's or 'O's (as in m n'o'p) in
vin numbers.  So, they changed my 1965 Globetrotter
vin on the title from an 'L' to a 1.  At first they
refused to title it saying that the vin plate was
wrong.  They were looking at me like I stole it and
was trying to forge a title.  It's 35 years old, but
the vin plate and the door sill plate were in good
condition.  It took 2+ hours of debate, and the senior
guy there, to -accept- the factory original vin plate,
and current Ohio title paperwork.  But, they had to
change the L to a 1, on their paperwork and title they
gave me.  Then 3 years later when I brought it into
Arizona, Arizona wouldn't accept the title because it
had a 1 instead of an L.  2 inspection stations later
and multiple explanations of California law, someone
gave in and I got a title, and with the correct
original vin number.

All that to say: I can appreciate your pain.
And if you're vintage, watch out for California.