Re: [A/S] Re: calk

   In your specific applications with through hull fittings and with
hardware that you don't mind never being able to remove in one piece I
concur with you.  You would be hard pressed to find a better product.
    The example of deterioration that I experienced was around the
windows and around the mast on my 37 hunter.   Rather than remove the
items and bed them with caulk, I opted for the easier fix which was to
lay down a bead of 5200 along the edges.  (which is similar to what
one would be doing in a shower)  It was by far the best material for
this use but in time it did fail. (I tried silicone too and it pealed
off faster and did not seem to seal or adhere  as well)
   Constant exposure to the elements did deteriate the bead and I
would periodically have to go and redo the bead to stop water from
coming in.  Probably would have worked better if I used butyl alcohol
instead of acetone to clean the area first.  Some of the beads I was
actually able to pull off by hand. Which made it easy to re-bead it.
When I wiped down the area with a acetone soaked  rag unlike with
silicone the 5200 came off like paint that was not cured all the way.
(probably because it was not sealed in an airtight way like it would
be if used on deck hardware)

  The 5200 has a porous dull finish to it that would be difficult to
clean and would look unprofessional.  Silicone has a smooth
impermeable glossy finish that would be much easier to clean and with
the mildicide (added to tub and tile caulks) would need cleaning much
less often.

Just stating my experience in certain situations.  I agree with you
things  like gluing and sealing two items together,  and under water
line apps like through hull fittings  I think 5200 is absolutely the
best product to use.

Robert