Re: [A/S] Pulling an Airstream trailer

Hi Mr. Higgins,

The safest tow vehicles have a longer wheelbase and a lower center of gravity
than your little SUV.  Personally, I wouldn't tow any trailer with it.

That said, you might be able to pull the littlest Bambi, but I'm not sure you
could handle it in case of an emergency maneuver. I think you would find out
first hand what the "tail wagging the dog" means.

There is no way it could safely handle a 22' or a 25' trailer. I would run
from any dealer who said you can.

I almost got killed once because I believed a dealer when he said my 1/2 ton
suburban could safely pull a certain trailer. I bought it and got out on the
highway and had no control when trucks went by. I got off the next exit, and
got my money back. I had a full weight distributing hitch set up.

The Bambi empty weight is without things like the fluids, water, and the
holding tanks and air conditioner plus, food, clothes etc.  I think even a Bambi
would be stretching the capabilities of that little SUV. To be safe I suggest
new people to towing tow within 25% of the tow rating of the vehicle.  IOW with
a 5,000# limit you would be better to keep the trailer at 3,750#. Which
leaves out all Airstreams except maybe the newest one, the base camp.

Hunter