[A/S] Re: Popping Rivets-ReVisited - now hitches

Then why don't we use equalizing hitches with horse trailers? Or cargo
trailers? The cargo and horse  trailers I have seen at highway rest stops
did not have equalizing hitches.

Could it be that the reason we use equalizing hitches on our travel
trailers is mainly because in the early days of towing TTs, people were
trying to adapt light-duty automobiles as tow vehicles? In the light-duty
car situation, you would have difficulty controlling the CAR without  the
proper hitch (the front end would be "light") , so the early users
definitely needed them for safety reasons.   All we TT owners are told
today is "you gotta have one", without regarding the tow vehicle. As far as
I know, there is no highway statistical accident evidence favoring  their
use, or any legal requirement for them based on trailer type. Maybe it is
just a tradition.

I use one with my AS, but I am pretty sure that if I went to a cargo
trailer dealer and paid for a setup to tow his (same
size/weight/tongueweight) cargo trailer, he would probably not mention an
equalizing type hitch for my big Dodge truck unless I requested it.
(Anybody have any real experience with cargo trailer dealer recommended
setup please speak up.)

In questions of this type, overkill is OK, and without the advice of a
knowledgeable engineer, I would never go against conventional wisdom, but
my gut feeling is that my with big properly equipped 1-ton Dodge pulling
it, my AS would not know WHAT type of trailer it is.

If there is published evidence of any differences in accident rates with
different hitches, I would like to see it. Until then, I tend to think we
are just being sold another RV gadget (except for those folks still towing
with the light-duty vehicles).

Jerry  4404 (currently preparing to tow several thousand miles on the WBCCI
Golden Anniversary Caravan, using his properly configured Reese equalizing
hitch)