[A/S] Re: FW: Weight equalizing hitch bars - and wheel balancing

Thanks Oliver.

I have the Reese hitch manual and set up everything like you said,
measuring everything at least twice.  Did that with my truck loaded
down with the usual firewood and camping gear, although it made
little difference.  Stiff rear springs in an F250.

The dropped shank mount is a heavy duty SOB.  2" solid steel "L" with
a thick gusset to reinforce the inside corner of the "L".  It's also
rated at something like 15,000 pounds.

The ball is vertical with no tilt, although that is adjustable, and
the spring bars pull up to near parallel with the frame as you
described.

I was pretty sure that it was just the moment of force exerted on the
shank by the offset between the ball and receiver.  Thanks for
confirming it.

Christopher