[A/S] Advice on purchase

Howdy all,

I've been looking for an AS for about 2 months. Those I've seen
locally (SF bay area) in my price range were not in good enough
condition. A couple of weeks ago I had the winning bid on one listed
on Ebay. Drove the 9 hours to the trailer only to find out the
pictures the guy listed were years old and the trailer was not
nearly in the shape advertised.

I'm looking to spend a max of $6000 for something in the 20-26 foot
range. I'm looking for something in decent/average shape,
gas/water/electrical systems all working, no leaks. I'm not set on
any year, but I do like the "look" of the older trailers, especially
the cabinetry.

So my questions:
Do I need to just stay patient? Keep checking eBay, craigslist,
airstream.net/classifieds?
Am I expecting too much for the money? Do I need to wait until I
have more to spend?
Am I looking in the wrong places?
Should I give up and buy a more modern SOB tt?
Any other tips you may have?

thanks again,
chad