Re: [A/S] Safety chains - Loose balls?

Concerning the "fit" of the ball and socket and the question of the two
becoming disconnected:

I had a boat trailer years ago. To disconnect the trailer, I would release
the little lever that unlocks the socket from the ball. This actually
allowed a shoe to move down inside the socket, sort of like making the
socket bigger. This is what allowed the ball to disengage when I raised the
socket with the tongue jack. I remember having to adjust the linkage for
this once because the ball was looser than I thought it should be. I had to
adjust the nut like the one that you can barely see in figure A of:

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/bo_maintenance_repair/article/0,2021,DIY_13718_2277896,00.html

That picture is not the lever type, but it illustrates what actually locked
the ball in place and this is exactly where the adjustment nut I had to
turn was located.

My AS is all locked up right now and it is not easy for me to remove the
locked ball and look up inside the socket, but I would probably see an
adjustment nut up in there if I did. Even if not on the current models, an
adjustment of this type might have been used years ago.

If this is the case, then wearing or perhaps misadjustment of this coupler
by a rookie might not keep the ball secure when under big-time stress, like
going across a bumpy RR crossing.

Jerry 4404