[A/S] "Ideal Relics"

> I have no idea how many of these "ideal relics" are around in decent
> shape.
> Also, there is the problem of availability (and cost of spare parts for
> repairs, etc.).

Hi Oliver,

You've done it again. This is the second or third time you've sparked
one of my hot buttons. As previously, I can't resist commenting on what
you said.  <grin>  Here goes:

Fortunately, many of today's buyers haven't a clue when it comes to
selecting one of these "Ideal Relics" for towing their Airstream. That
leaves the field wide open to those of us who know exactly what one of
these 30 year olds can do and where to find one in excellent condition.

As for spare parts, it's the same story. Many of today's buyers don't
have a clue for locating parts or the mother lode manuals. Those of us
with a passion for the behemoths of the 1970s learned long ago that
finding parts and detailed manuals for our Classic Beauties is far
simpler than it is for finding quality used Airstreams, or parts, or
the detailed 2.5" thick 20" x 11.5" factory manuals for our Vintage
Airstreams.

For example, it's Summer time and any Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday
evening, owners of Vintage Cars and Trucks gather at local parking lots
  all across the country (Roller Rinks, Shopping Plazas, etc.) to gab
and share the latest successes at finding parts or another mechanic who
delights in repairing our parts instead of the usual remove and replace
technique - or better yet, finding an auto body shop with skilled,
knowledgeable craftsmen who are eager to restore a solid vintage
vehicle - as though it was their own.

Here in the Northeast, Hemming Motor News (http://www.hemmings.com)
publishes a catalog the size of which would cause any Vintage Airstream
owner to salivate - if he could find a trailer or parts so easily. This
is only one of hundreds of sources for finding a Big Iron with a low
COG and extraordinary towing capability - plus parts galore.

As an aside, those of us with several vintage tow vehicles are NOT at
all inconvenienced by swapping license plates and insurance coverage
during the months when we play with our toys and tow our Airstreams
with them.  Nor are we bent out of shape after 25 years of not having
had ANY car payments.

After play time over and just before snow flies, we clean and coddle
our "Ideal Relics" before garaging them with their own solar panels to
keep the batteries strong through the Winter. Or ,who knows, we may
decide to take them out of hibernation on a sunny Winter day and make
the 1500 mile run to Florida where we can play with them some more -
and visit with other Vintage owners, or enter show competitions, or
raise the hood and check......

For us, the best part of all -- is having a high quality mechanically
mint tow vehicle which does exactly what we want it to do and looks
spectacular (I know - beauty is in the eyes of the beholder). Sandie
and I think of our Vintage Vehicles as ideal for us as we explore the
continent with an equally high quality mechanically mint Airstream that
looks like a million dollars and is fun to to live in wherever we park
it.

One question often asked in campgrounds is what kind of mile per gallon
our "old wagon" gets. My reply is always the same, "it depends."
Without the trailer, our 460 CID V8 can get 15 mpg if pedal pressure is
soft as a feather. If I ask the engine to step lively, the dual
exhausts roar into life with their deep throaty growls and I can knock
it down to 10 mpg. If I burn rubber for a block, I can get 5 mpg. Like
I said, "it depends." And oh yes, regular or hi test gas is easily
selected with one wrench and one sensitive ear.

Another question often asked is what kind of mpg do we get while towing
our Airstream.  For that question my reply is different. Anyone who
asks that question doesn't share my thinking about what's important
while towing our Airstream. Generally, my answer falls on deaf ears as
evidenced by a string of  "Yeah but...." comments.

For me, there is only ONE CRITERIA - pure, unadulterated performance. I
want a tow vehicle that's in full control of my Airstream at all times
and has strong reserve capacity to respond to my driving commands
immediately, predictably and with no apologies.

Our son feels the same way about his F-15. He loves to tease me by
telling me he'll race me down the runway.  After a few seconds from
brake release by both of us, he'll be looking at me in his rear view
mirror from a mile high in the sky. He knows the name of the game for
both of us is to have a vehicle that does what we want it to do -- so
each of us can stay safe yet perform our jobs superbly.

This viewpoint isn't for everyone - that's obvious to even a casual
observer. One of the greatest features of this country is -- where
there's an open mind, there will always be a frontier - and some of us
delight in resurrecting old frontiers (attitudes) for confidently
dealing with new frontiers (towing our Airstreams).

Terry
1967 22' Airstream Safari
1975 Mercury Stations Wagon