[A/S] Re: International rally??'s

Greetings CandyK!

> 1-they are providing 3 amps of electricity. we get that much from
our solar panel and don't see how one can survive in the summer
without air conditioning. (we are from tampa...)

If there are still spaces available in the 30-AMP section, I don't
think that you would regret the extra expense.  I live about 250
miles East of Springfield, and I have been running my home's central
air conditioning for more than a month due to the high humidity.  I
had no question, and signed-up for the 30-AMP section when I pre-
registered at Lansing.

> 3- why do they run hoses from one trailer to another? this is dry
> camping? so don't we plan to fill our fresh tank before we get
there?

You will want to arrive with a full fresh water tank as an insurance
policy against the possibility that the water may not be installed
as quickly as hoped.  Generally it is immediately available, but
there have been cases where there have been short-term problems.

> 4 is there any possibility of getting help parking? newbie and no
good in reverse and it sounds like they pack trailers very tight.
I'm scared.

There will be "Parkers" who will direct you from the Bull Pen
(assuming that you aren't arriving in a caravan such as the VAC).
The parke will lead you from the bull pen and direct you to a
stopping point such that the jack post of your coach will be nearly
centered over an orange dot on the ground -- it is remarkable how
close their directions are -- there will be no backing just pulling
straight into a row next to the last coach in the row.

> 5 are there any food vendors? or do I cook all my own meals and if
so how without the microwave and being in the heat already?

There aren't any food vendors on-site as a general rule, but there
is usually a listing of nearby restaurants provided with the
program.  I rarely cook during my stay at the International (I have
only missed one since 1998), but have always found very interesting
local restaurants to try.  One of my favorites, Lamberts' Cafe is
just a few miles from where we will be starying -- and I am sure
that your teenagers would love the atmosphere -- their trademark is
the throwed roll -- they will lob the rolls to you from across the
room and they are fresh baked and delicious.  You might also pass
their original location in Sikeston, Missouri on your way to
Springfield.

> 6- is it any fun? Is everybody really old. No offense but the
pictures show pictures of my parents generation mostly. We still
work and travel with kids. And is there anything for teens to do?

Don't let the photos deceive you, there is plenty of interest for
everyong.  Since 1999, I have frequently parked near Ed and Sandy
Emmerick (Ed is currently 2nd Vice President of the Vintage
Airstream Club) who happen to have two teenage daughters.  As a high
school teacher I was curious about the youth activities, and learned
from Ed and Sandy that there is a very busy schedule for the youth
through the WBCCI Youth Committee -- activities have been many and
varied as they are somewhat dependent upon the attractions offered
in the area where the International has been held.  There have been
trips to water parks, amusement parks, as well as any number of
related activities -- these activities are supervised and chaperoned
by WBCCI volunteers and the teenagers whom I have met all seemed to
have enjoyed their opportunites -- there is also usually a dance
arranged specifically for the young people at the rally.  The
information is available at registration -- just inquire about the
WBCCI Youth Program (sometimes it is part of the regular program,
but I believe that it is often a supplement that must be requested).

> 7- we have an old coach we are repairing. Does your outfit have to
be in perfect condition to go?

There are many of us in the Vintage section who have older coaches
in various stages of restoration and repair.  The general philosophy
in the Vintage section is that we are there for the social aspects
of the Rally and to enjoy our Vintage coaches.  My '64 Overlander
International was in "as found" condition when I attended my first
International (it rather looked like it had been the victim of a bad
repaint, but it was the result of a previous owners' faild attempt
at polishing).  Last year, I attended with my Minuet that is in need
of a paint job and several other cosmetic processes.  Don't let the
fact that your coach is a work in progress deter you from attending
the International!

> Thanks,
> candyk

My advice would be come to the International prepared to have a
great time.  I have enjoyed every one that I have attended (I have
been a member since I was 36).  You will also want to travel to the
convention center at your earliest convenience to register and
obtain your program as it will help you to get a better idea of what
is going on during the Rally.  As a First Timer at an International,
be prepared for a little fanfare -- first of all, you will want to
be sure that you and all of your family members have you name
badges -- when you register at the convention center, you will
receive your ribbons, one of which will be a "First Timers" ribbon
(this will be an ice-breaker and many of the members will make it a
point to welcome you).  Also, the volunteers working at the
registration will ring the "First Timers" bell and your photo will
be taken as well -- it is among my most memorable experiences (I had
been a member of WBCCI for three years when I attended my first
International Rally in 1998).

If you want to find out more about the WBCCI Youth Activities at the
International Rally, you can find Ed Emmerick's e-mail address on
the VAC website at http://www.airstream.net.  While he probably
won't have particulars about this year's activities, I am sure that
he could give you a better idea of the activities to expect.

Also on that same site, you will be able to learn the details about
the Vintage Airstream Club's parade into the International Rally --
it is always a great deal of fun, and if your coach is 25 years old
or older, you are eligible for membership in the VAC and could join
us for the parade.

Don't hesitate to drop by my coach if I can be of any assistance
during the Rally -- I should be relatively easy to find -- if it is
like last year, mine will be the only Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre parked
in the VAC section, and if all goes well I will probably be the only
one towing with a '75 Cadillac Eldorado convertible.

Good luck wtih your preparations!

Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI/VAC/Free Wheelers/Computer Club #6359
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400
VORTEC/4.10 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2
Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)