RE: [A/S] Another Question

Hi MaryAnn,
I have towed all kinds of trailers in my 63 years of enjoying toys. I have
towed little short utility trailers, all kinds of boat trailers, camping
rigs from very small pop - ups to my current 34' Airstream. There is very
little (except for the weight) difference in towing a long rig down the
highway. There is a BIG difference in backing a trailer either in a straight
line of along a path with turns evolved. A long trailer is much more civil
to handle. It pretty much takes its time about making turns, and gives you
time to react to keeping it going where you want it to go. A short trailer
is MUCH faster in its direction changes, and usually "jack knifes" by the
time you realize it is no longer headed straight down your intended path. I
always get a kick out of people that are going to get a smaller trailer
because it will be easier to tow. We go on lots of caravans, and see people
with all kinds of rigs, with all kinds of experience levels handling them.
The people with the short rigs usually have the most trouble getting into
tight camp sites, especially if they are new to towing or the rig or both.
A quick story on parking your rig in tight spots. We were on the Alaskan
Caravan, and it always took the entire parking crew to get this one
gentleman into his parking space. He was 80 years old at that time, and had
not been married to his current wife very long. She would work and work with
him while shaking her head and smiling as she did so. We found out early in
the caravan that he had been a banker, and she was an over the road 18
wheeler driver for 35 years. I only saw her drive the rig one time to
relocate it in the campground, because the power was bad at their first
site. He had gone to town with another person to get a part for their
trailer or something. She could back the rig up a crooked tree with no help
from anyone, but NEVER offered to take over from her husband, and make him
look bad. Now that is a lady in my opinion.

Joe Scudder
WBCCI 8624