Re: [A/S] Another Question

I can't disagree with any of what is said about long being easier to tow in
many respects.

What I do have to quickly throw in though, is that these are quick
generalizations.  I tow a 22 ft. trailer with a diesel F-250 with a chip
installed, so think that it too can be called a serious tow pony.  Speaking
from personal experience, my trailer just flat does not have any problem
with being blown all over the road, either by cross winds or by passing 18
wheelers.  I do use spring bars, but no special hitch, nor any sway bar.
The trailer is around 5,000 lbs, with slightly more than 15 percent of that
weight, or about 800 lbs. on the hitch.  It also has dual axles - which
help.  I normally travel at 70 mph towing the trailer.

The point here is that if your trailer is less than 31', you are not
necessarily going to have a problem with the trailer being all over the
road.  The weight does need to be properly distributed, and the tow vehicle
must be capable of handling the trailer.  Many of the horror stories one
hears involve an underpowered tow vehicle.  This is worsened if there is
insufficient weight on the front end.  I might add that these are two things
that need to be taken care of before trying to solve towing problems with a
fancy expensive hitch.

Actually, while short trailers will definitely more easily move from side to
side while backing up, this need not a problem once you gain some
experience.  A shorter trailer will back into places where it can be very
very difficult to spot a longer trailer.  Sadly, the learning experience can
be frustrating.

Also, unless there is a real need for a whole lot more room, remember that
longer is generally heavier, and requires more gas to tow.  From the looks
of things, this might be a consideration for some time to come.

Finally, from a resale point of view, shorter is good.  Take a look at the
prices for different length Airstreams on e-bay.  There is just more demand
for smaller trailers.

-Tom