[A/S] Quadrasteer

First let me say that I do not own a GM vehicle with Quadrasteer, nor have I
ever driven one.

However, I did talk to a Delphi engineer (who actually worked on the
product) a couple of years ago at a trade show.

My conclusion:  If I had the bucks and/or was in the market for a new tow
vehicle, I would definitely order it with Quadrasteer.

Here is why:

First, there is the obvious advantage of a smaller turning radius of the tow
vehicle, which makes it a lot easier to park or otherwise manuever the
trailer and tow vehicle.

However the really big (as Ed Sullivan would say) advantage lies in the
improved stability and behavior of the tow vehicle/trailer rig on the
highway at speed.

On the highway, towing a trailer (at highway speeds with Quadrasteer) all
four wheels steer in the direction the tow vehicle is being steered.  Thus
the vehicle essentially goes sideways in the steered direction INSTEAD of
the front wheels causing the vehicle to effectively pivot at the rear
wheels. This in turn causes almost no pivoting at the hitch ball as seen by
the trailer.

As the Delphi engineer explained it, "it is like putting steering wheels on
the hitch of the trailer."  The practical result is that the tow vehicle
introduces almost no sway between the tow vehicle and the trailer - a much
safer and more stable situation than the normally steered tow vehicle.

Unfortunately, the Quadrasteer option was expensive and was probably sold
for its low speed maneuverabilty benefits rather than the safety issue
related to towing a trailer.

Oliver Filippi