Re: [A/S] International Rally and Club Reorganization - Jim Franklin

I respect this attitude, but this is the kind of thinking that has to
be reconsidered if WBCCI is going to expand and appeal to younger
airstream owners.  I hate to mix it up since I think this is a
sensitive point.  Nobody's going to be happy with everything, but
WBCCI faces a difficult choice.  Either it's going to change so that
it appeals to the growing group of younger members, or it's going to
resist change and slowly expire as its aging membership dies.
Sacrificing meaningless tradions may be necessary for survival.

That means that every activity will be scrutinized.  If real change is
going to occur, it's going to be really difficult, since some
activities will change or be discontinued.  Activities will be geared
towards younger interests.  Older members may not like this--but then
again, the organization was never intended to be stuck in the 50s or
oriented only to seniors, either.

However, ultimately, if you are content with the way things are now,
WBCCI may have to evolve into something you won't like.  This won't
occur because your tastes aren't appreciated, but because the
organization faces a true survival crisis.  The thing is, if you
support WBCCI, you may see some of what you like survive.  If you
don't support the evolution, you risk seeing the day when WBCCI
expires.

On the other hand, making special family rallies could work.  Organize
it around a theme (wild animals, crazy science, etc.), put it in a
place with lots of varied facilities (better yet, a place with a spa
for the parents).  Have older teens act as counsellors.  Have lots of
organized activities and put that up front in promoting the event.
Make activities with scouting orientations (earn badges).  Schedule it
during vacations. That would be a start towards attracting families.

As for the vintage subunit--it may be a small group, but it's also the
brightest demographic for the organization. So, it's advantageous to
WBCCI to support this group. Now if they could only get the CCD'ers
and more ethnic diversity.  Remember--Wally dreamed of
an organization that was just like America--so maybe institutional
changes could take us closer to our roots and tradition.

My concern is that there is only going to be a half measure towards
change.  That will probably be the worst possible fate, since a
tentative step towards change will alienate old members, while failing
to attract younger ones.  Just making rallies smaller and in more
locations won't answer the mail, I'm afraid.

Regardless, any way you look at it, it's a tough call.