Re: [A/S] Oil Change Suggestions?

hi jim
i'm jealous, still waiting for shipment of my new ford like yours. how do you
like it so far? have you used the trailer brake yet? how does it work? the 250
is a neat truck...how's your milage so far?

as for oil, in general syns do resist thermal breakdown better and generally
have a better additive package. i use syn in all my cars (except the ones that
specifically say not to) and when on the track notice lower temps. i also change
frequently (3-5k) which is probably a waste since many syns are now good for 10k
and up to 20k if you believe the engineers.

there are a few good web sites for diesell info, one called powerstrokediesel
and a better one:
http://www.thedieselstop.com/

the shell product you use is very good and widely available. diesel oils already
have a better additive package than  gasoline engine oils so the gap between
products is smaller. yes diesels operate at higher pressures and temps and this
is where syns do make a difference. but my experience is that frequent changes
matter more than syn vs dino.....

my feeling would be if you plan longer service intervals or drive where it is
really hot, syn would be useful but if you are to do oil changes more frequently
(3-5k is a short interval for diesel) and keep track of "pulling" miles vs
regular driving, dyno is fine. just make sure to use the correct "api" rated oil
for the new engine.

given how much oil the psd holds and the ease of diy changes, i'll probably use
the shell rotella myself and buy 3 filters at at time so i can it whenever.

if you haven't already done this tell us about the truck!!

cheers

rx