RE: [A/S] 28/30' & short bed truck

Hi David,
I have pulled a 34' Limited Front Kitchen Airstream for about 75,000 miles
in the passed 5 years with a short bed GMC 3/4 ton pickup. I did about the
first 60,000 miles with a 2000 GMC 2500 Extended Cab 2 wheel drive with a 6
L Gas engine and a 410:1 Rear end. I traded that truck for a 2004 GMC 2500HD
with the Duramax Diesel / Allison power package, 4 wheel drive and the Crew
Cab - again the short box. The rig is connected together with a Hensley
Hitch, and I can't imagine a better towing rig. The 75,000 miles has been
made up of 45 of the lower 48 states, 9 Canadian Provinces, and about all of
Alaska that has a road. I would say I have covered a very diverse set of
road and weather conditions to put my miles on the rig and would not change
a thing about the towability of the setup. This diesel truck is the first
diesel vehicle I have ever owned. It tows like a dream, but the jury is
still out on where it is worth the extra cost, noise, smell, and trouble of
dealing with a diesel. I will probably get jumped on for that last
statement, but I am entitled to my opinion, and it is my $5000 premium up
front cost, $1300 invested in a 45 Gallon fuel tank to replace the 26 Gallon
one it came with, me making two or three extra stops some times to find
diesel, my $500 invested in oil and filters in just over 12,000 miles, and
it is my hands that smell like diesel for several hours after filling up at
a truck stop where the pump handle is dripping with diesel when you grab it
to fill up. I am not whining, just point out some of the "Fun" of owning a
diesel. I forgot to add the fact that for the first time in history the
price of dieses fuel is above premium gas to add to the other pleasures.

Joe Scudder
WBCCI 8624