[A/S] Re: 7 pin plug & Solar collector

Greetings Ted!

When AJL Solar installed the solar panel array, inverter, and solar
charge controller, they advised that there was no need for revisions
to the charge circuit wiring in the umbilical cord.  This was nearly
four seasons back, and I have had absolutely no problems related to
this situation.

When I purchased both my '64 Overlander and '78 Argosy Minuet, I
rewired the Bargman plug to match the schematic used in the moder
tow vehicles which does not match either the mid-60s nor late-70s
wiring schematic utilized by Airstream.

Your '79 Tradewind is likely virtually identical in regard to its
umbilical wiring as my '78 Argosy Minuet (see:
http://www.airstream.com/airstream/product_line/customer_service/docs/7wayplug1966-81.pdf).
I made sure to connect the backup lights and
all other circuits, but only to the terminals as specified in the
modern Bargman plug wiring standard (see:
http://www.marksrv.com/wiring.htm).  The one thing to remember is
that the color coding used by Airstream doesn't correspond to the
current standard so it is necessary to place the wires in the modern
standard locations based upon function rather than color.  After
following this process (I added a step and verified the function of
each wire with a 12-volt garden tractor battery), all lights
function properly including backup lights and I get at least some
charging from the tow vehicle while underway.

Good luck with your project!

Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI/VAC/Free Wheelers/Computer Club #6359
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400
VORTEC/4.10 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2
Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)