RE: [A/S] buying used - pitfalls, concerns

Hi Claudette,
In addition to what Kevin said in response to your question, recommend if
you do not have the Airstream checked out by a service facility, make a
checklist and have the owner demonstrate everything electrical/mechanical on
the trailer:

water lines with 12v pump and city water hookups (check for leaks)
hot water heater
air conditioner/furnace and thermostat
stove/oven/exhaust fan
roof vent fan
refrigerator in all modes 12vdc/12vac/propane
hitch jack
12vdc charging system (requires 120vac power to trailer)
Interior lights
brake/stop/running lights
stabilizer jacks
dining room table operation
tambour doors all work
shower/bath/toilet operation
black/gray water tank drain valves operation w/o leaks - incl hoses
propane tanks certified with new OPD valves and tank switchover works
entrance and access door locks work
awnings work, no holes
brakes work underway (need to tow trlr)

Look for skin dents/tears
condition of flooring including soft spots that flex underfoot
condition of upholstery/curtains supporting hooks

I didn't have a complete checklist when I bought my A/S. Most of the
appliances were original. I found out the furnace didn't work after I bought
it. The owner demonstrated the spark ignition, but said he was out of
propane. The furnace had a bad regulator that was not repairable or
replaceable. Scratch one furnace and a lesson learned - if it cannot be
demonstrated, then it probably doesn't work.

Dan Dodd
'73 31' Sovereign International Airstream