Re: [A/S] buying used - pitfalls, concerns

You've gotten some good advice here and I have only a few things to
add.

It does concern me that you say you aren't handy.  Even new RV's can
have some problems and the more you can fix yourself, the better off
you will be.  I'm sure you can learn these skills if you are
willing.  There is lots of helpful advice here.

I speak from experience since I bought a '79 International last
April.  When I bought it, all systems checked out fine.  We've had it
out for five weekends and two extended trips so far.  During that
time I've had to make some minor repairs of things which broke under
normal wear, and a few things I overlooked on my inspection.  If I
would have had to take it to a repair shop every time I can't imagine
how much I would have been charged, and there might have been a lot
of downtime when it wouldn't have been available for me to use.

Knowing the risks when I bought the vintage trailer, my philosophy
was this:  It's an Airstream.  They have a cult following and if the
trailer proves to be too much of a money pit I can easily find a
buyer for it.  You can't always do that with a '79 of some other
brand.

Christopher