Re: [A/S] 1982 chevy suburban 3/4 ton 2wd 6.2l diesel???

Jeff,
I tow with an Ex Airforce 1987 2wd Suburban 2500 with a 6.2 liter diesel
(was never a gas engine), turbo 400 transmission (with an add on cooler) and
a 4.10 differencial. I have been using it to tow my 28' 1959 Ambassador
International for several years. I purchased it 3 years ago with 22,000
miles on it. It was used on the former Plattsburgh NY Airbase to ferry
pilots around the flightline so it didn't get much hard use. It was in
storage from 1995 until 2001 when I bought it. It has an 8600 lb GVWR which
is somewhat higher than 3/4 ton vehicles normally come with. I have been
very pleased with it's performance although I have done several upgrades
that changed it's drivability considerably. I drove it the first summer in a
completely stock condition which was OK for towing but really lacked power
in the Adirondack mountains where I live. I contacted Banks in California
about their add on turbo for this vehicle. This turbo system was a factory
approved option for the 6.2 in the late 80's and was offered by GM dealers.
It took the 6.2 from 135 hp and 300 lb ft of torque to 200hp and 400 lb ft
of torque. This is a really noticable "seat of the pants" change. The later
model 6.5 liter turbo diesel only produced 185 hp and 375 lb ft of torque so
you actually are better off with the "after market" system. Also, the 6.5
block is a direct replacement for the 6.2 so if you eventually wear out the
6.2 you can easily retrofit the larger engine which would likely be more
available. Adding a turbo is a win win situation as the fuel economy gets
better, the engine runs cooler and the turbo only starts to work when the
engine demands. You don't lose any power in high altitude driving either.
The system is called a Banks "Sidewinder Turbo" and cost $1,800 and came
complete with a new exhaust system, turbo, manifold, boost gauge and exhaust
gas temp gauge along with every bracket, tie wrap and all hardware necessary
to install it, also a very detailed instruction manual. I installed it
myself and didn't have any problems. As you may have guessed I am very
pleased with how it has worked out as it turned a snail into a rocket at a
very low price with a lot of good engineering and support behind it.
The other major change I did was replacing the wheels and tires with 7" wide
mags and 265/75 16 tires. The original skinny 235/75 16 wheels had a max
pressure of 60 psi which gave it a harsher ride. The new tires are rated
with 44 psi so tend to be very smooth. The taller tire also gives an overall
lower final drive ratio so the engine doesn't rev quite so much for a given
speed. With all the added torque from the turbo the lower ratio is still
sufficient to pull almost anything. Although it could probably pull 10,000
lbs, I wouldn't push it that far.
All totaled, I have a little over $5k in this vehicle and would find it very
difficult to match it's capability for twice that. I have 35,000 trouble
free miles on it now.
Hope this helps you out,
Colin
PS If you want any other detailed information, don't hesitate to write me
off list.