[A/S] Re: 1982 chevy suburban 3/4 ton 2wd 6.2l diesel???

 Hello Jeff, First of all , this is not a converted gasoline engine
made into a diesel like the 350 was. It is a diesel, but as was said
it is not as powerful as the the new diesel, because it is not turbo
charged, but this was a good engine. I had an 86 half ton suburban
with this engine in it and pulled a 73 and 76 31 foot Airstreams
with it and when I sold it , it had 285000 on it. You have to
consider where you will be towing with it and how much patience that
you have, because it will not pull hills like the new diesels, but
there are semi's that can't pull hills at full speed either. I don't
know where you live and how much towing you will be doing with this,
but I have found that the harder you work this motor the better it
will perform. After I had a new injector pump put on the one I had,
at 100,000 miles, it seemed to run better also. The guy that rebuilt
my pump said that he beefed it up some and said it would have more
power, which it seemed to have, but I don't know what he did to it.
I would think any good diesel mechanic would know what to do. You
have to consider what your needs are and what you have to spend.
$2500 seems like a cheap price for a 3/4 ton  Suburban, if it is in
good shape. I loved my 6.2, but it seemed like one of those things,
that some people really liked and others did not. My uncle had the
old Ford diesel, that was not turbo charged and I felt that my 6.2
had more power then his truck.  Another thing to remember these
engines aren't meant to be lugged around town and need to be worked.
That same mechanic also told me I was not working mine hard enough
and to drive mine more out of overdrive and let the engine work. I
don't believe the 3/4 ton has overdrive on it. When I would pull the
trailer with it, the first few miles seemed a little sluggish , but
the further down the road I got the better it ran. You have to be
your on judge, but this is my experience with this engine. You might
see if he would let you pull your trailer with it  and see if it
will meet your needs.  Richard in Southwest
Ohio.