Re: [A/S] Old vs New

Hi Allan,

It kind of depends on what you are looking for and to do.

I don't think the AS ever has declined particularly. But I don't mind
formica instead of wood, and I like my comforts.

Sometime around late 60's, the skin changed from the kind you can polish
to mirror to a skin that doesn't get as shiny.

In 1974, they added a gray water tank.

The new models' interior finish is not to my taste, solid Oak isn't
trailer ish. I kind of like the CCD, but they are a little too
veterinarian's office for me.

My '73 had a new hot water heater, rest of guts are still going.

There are some 70's years when the rear bath and rear holding tanks
caused "tail droop" which can be repaired.

I think the floor plan is the most important part !

I would never buy a new one, I think they are very over priced. You can
get a nice '70's model ready to camp for $5-7,000, more for an 80's and
still more for a 90's. but that's still a huge savings over the price of
a new one.

You should take a long hard look at your time and inclination for fixing
things before you take on a trailer that needs work. Some of us like
fixing as much as camping. Some would rather polish, Some want to go
camping NOW.

You can go here to see mine:

http://home.tiac.net/~jtdjtd/aspix/airstream3.html

Best thing would be to come to a rally when there is a vintage open
house, then you can see what they're like inside. And ask lots of
questions. that's why we go, to talk trailers !

Daisy