[A/S] Re: weather advice?

Greetings Chris!

When I am traveling with the Airstream or Argosy, I keep track of
the local forecasts as well as those for my destination.  If
possible when the weather appears to be dangerous or threatening, I
try to adjust my plans and either stay put or adjust my route to
avoid the worst part of storms (I carry Nathional Weather Service
Weather Radios in both coaches, and also travel with DirecTV so that
it is possible to keep up with local and regional weather
conditions).  In the event that I get caught in severe weather while
on the road, my first priority is to get the rig safely off the
highway (preferrably in the nearest town, but on a wide shoulder of
the road if the rig is uncomfortable to pilot in the existing
conditions).  When the National Weather Service issues a "High
Profile Vehicle Travel Alert", it is usually my que to find the
quickest safe method to get off of the road until the weather system
passes.  Thus far, I haven't been cornered by a tornado but I am
constantly on the look out for suitable safe havens while looking
for a stopping place.

From the perspective of choosing a campsite, my first inclination is
to look for streams - - have been through several flash floods and
do not wish to be in a spot that would be difficult to evacuate in
the event of a flash flood.  Flash flooding actually worries me more
than tornados, lightning, and windstorms combined.  The last thing
that I normally consider when looking for a site are trees - - I try
to avoid pine and soft maples more to avoid the sap and dropping
branches - - but I also realize that these fast-growing soft wood
trees are more likely to be damaged in a storm.  Overhead power
lines have not been an issue in most of the campgrounds that I have
stayed in - - it seems that for the most part the power lines are
buried or located well away from where they might cause problems for
guests in their RVs.

Good luck with your planning and travels!

Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400
VORTEC/4.10 Differentials
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2
Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)