[A/S] Re: waterfilters, and the Everpure How much Clorox

Whoa!  For disinfecting the fresh water tank, hot water tank,
plumbing lines and fixtures, in a 4 hour contact time, you only need
one part regular Clorox per thousand parts of water or 0.13 ounces
per gallon.  That's less than 8 ounces for 60 gallons, enough for a
53 gallon fresh tank, 6 gallon water heater, and some plumbing.
That's right out of the Airstream manual.  Cut that back to 0.1
with "Ultra" bleach. I leave that in overnight, instead of just 4
hours, for good measure.

And you certainly don't want to drink water with even that much
bleach in it!  I flush the tanks and plumbing twice after
sanitizing.  I wouldn't count on a filter to remove 8 ounces from 60
gallons of plumbing, much less 3 gallons from a 40 gallon tank.
Besides that, it really smells up the shower.  Clorox's
recommendation for purifying unchlorinated drinking water is ONE
TEASPOON for every FIVE GALLONS.  That's 0.033 ounces per gallon!

The 3/4 cup (6 ounces) per gallon formula (i.e. two gallons of bleach
for 43 gallons) is for FIVE MINUTE contact time, for wiping down
counters, cutting boards, etc.  Not for drinking water.  I can't
believe that strong of a solution is good for the plastic pipes and
plumbing.

--
Maurice
WBCCI 5446