[A/S] Re: Transmission Pros and Cons

There was recently a discussion on the Power Stroke list re: auto trans
gear shifting which is somewhat related. The automatic transmission can
"gear search" (shift between higher and lower gears frequently) in
hilly or variable conditions, which is not good for it in the long
haul. The consensus seems to be that if you find your transmission
doing this, it's best to turn off the overdrive (on Fords a little
button on the end of the shift lever) until conditions stabilize.

I have also been interested in "rear end" size (not mine- my truck's..)
I used to have a 7.3 diesel with 4-11 gears. My newer one is a Power
Stroke (turbocharged) with 3-73 gears. I can notice a definite decline
in power low range with the 3-73's, but not enough to overcome the
dramatically increased mileage achieved with them. I pull my Airsteam
with no difficulty, and I just pay attention to the gear search thing.

Regards,

Chris Koehn
'79 @ 31' Int'l
WBCCI 8638