Re: [A/S] Using a JEEP to tow a small Airstream

Jason,

The Jeep Cherokee's with a factory towing package are rated at 5000 lbs.
 If you add a few things to yours such as a trans cooler, you should be
able to tow 4000 lbs without problems.  (A good mechanic and trailer
hitch installer can tell you just what you will need.)  Especially if
the trailer has brakes.  A 2002 16' Bambi has a gross weight of 3500
lbs, the older small trailers will be even less.  I have used my son's
1989 Cherokee with a towing package to tow utility trailers with 2000 to
3000 lbs of weight and no trailer brakes without problems.  The main
thing to remember is to take it easy and respect the total weight of
your combination.

Good luck, you do not need a long wheel base, diesel, crew cab pick up
to tow every Airstream ever built.  You just need to match the trailer
and the tow vehicle.

Bill Kerfoot
WBCCI #5223
1979 23' Safari