Re: [A/S] mobil connectivity

I've recently changed jobs and now head the
communications department for the convention center
and domed stadium in St. Louis.  We have been
exploring wireless connectivity and quite honestly
have started providing free access in our common areas
at the convention center and in the press box at the
stadium.

Downtown St. Louis has begun to provide wireless zones
in some of the public areas and a St. Louis based
nationwide resturant/bakery (Panera Bread) is moving
to provide wireless access in each of their retail
locations across the county.

Bottom line wireless is growing and quite honestly is
fairly easy to do.  I wouldn't be surprised that you
will eventually see some campgrounds offering the
service.  It's a heck of a lot cheaper than wiring
phone lines to each site.  The biggest issues we are
dealing with in wireless is the fact that each antenna
(or access point) has a 300' limitation for signal
purposes.  How much an Airstream would subtract from
that signal level is unknown.  There is also known
interference in the 2.5 ghz range which includes some
cordless phones and microwave's.

If you decided to go wireless you will find that most
sites will support a standard called 802.11b.  I've
found 802.11b cards for laptop PC's selling as low as
$25.  There is a newer standard called 802.11g which
is faster than 802.11b.  We will be upgrading our
equipment to use that faster standard.  Note that if
you buy an 802.11g card for your laptop, it will
operate at a site that is only using 802.11b.

Personally while I don't have a laptop now, it will be
something I will purchase for the future.  When I do
that I will probably move to the wireless mode for the
laptop and my desktop at home.

In the meantime get a good national service provider
that has lots of dial points, get a good modem and be
assured that as time goes on you will start seeing
more wireless services in the future.

Regards,

Jack Canavera
STL. Mo.