[A/S] '96 Airstream Integrity

Hi Streamers, (this is long so delete if no interest in this unit)

Hunter asked me to share my feelings about the '96 Airstream Integrity 30'
fifth wheel I recently bought. I have been putting off making judgements
until I had put some miles on it and learned to live with it and vice
versa. I am still waiting to feel good about the purchase while some
problems are being worked out.

When I asked this list earlier for information on the unit I received very
little information except from one nice gentlemen that said that Airstream
did not make them long enough to know how to make a fifth wheel. His may
have been the best informed answer. Prior to this purchase I have had no
fifth wheel or slide out experience. Just the '88 29' Excella which I have
kept until I see if we can fall in love with the fifth wheel.

I will list good and bad points with some explanations on the bad as they
are known to me today. We have just completed a six week trip that took us
from our home near Dallas up through OK, MO, IN, IL, OH, PA, NY and into
Toronto, Ontario.  We returned through Michigan, OH, KY, TN, AL, MS, LA and
back home in the East Texas piney woods. I probably met Hunter in Ohio as
she was traveling to Jackson Center as we were traveling from Jackson
Center going east.

The good points first;
1. Lots of room with one large slide (dining room table/4 comfortable
chairs and sofa out about four foot) and one small slide (Queen bed out
about a foot and a half). No claustrophobia feelings on the wet, cold days).
2. New combination convection/microwave over the stove top. Great cooking
machine.
3. As mentioned in one above, great and comfortable queen size bed with
room to walk around three sides.
4. More cabinet and drawer space than we could fill, but we are still
working on that.
5. More outside storage space than we could fill, even with two Honda
generators, complete tool box, DTV dish, chairs, tables, ice chest and
other stuff.
6. Large shower I can bend over in (6'2" 350#) with nice dressing/sink
counter top and pot  behind one sliding door.
7. Ducted and electronic thermostat controlled air conditioning system with
two units on roof (although we used the central heat the most on this trip).
8. Wood floor in living area great to keep clean.
9. Lots of windows everywhere and most of them open with screens.
10. Wash out system in black water tank.
11. Very large refrigerator with freezer that automatically changes from
shore power to gas and back as the outside AC is connected and disconnected
(my Excella frig had been removed and a AC only one put in its place).
12. Large hanging cloths closet clear across the front of the trailer with
shelves in the ends and cedar lined.

Now to the not so good, the bad and the ugly.

1. The fifth wheel hitch was not securely tied to the trailer structure
thus allowing the trailer to jerk us around a lot on rough roads. Prior to
the trip we had the bottom of the raised fifth wheel area of the trailer
removed and more structure welded into the frame, sheared bolts replaced
and a general beefing up of the area. Part of this was due to damage from
dropping the trailer off of the fifth wheel down onto the pickup bed by the
previous owner. Part was due from Airstream leaving out some angle iron
during manufacture and the rest from too weak a design. It was costly to fix.
2  The front jacks are electrically raised and lowered. Prior to the trip
we had new gears installed in the system. Third day out the system broke
and caused use some headaches during the trip getting the trailer on and
off of the truck. The trailer is still in the shop today getting the system
going right.
3.  Either the suspension system sucks with the torque axles and shocks, or
there are problems with the axles and/or the shocks. That is next week. The
trailer was so rough in the rear that drawers jumped out on the floor and
cabinet doors came unlatched and dumped their contents on the floor. Not a
pretty sight. I will rebuild the drawers and put some real locks on the
cabinet doors after the shocks/axles are fixed. To Airstream's defense the
drawers are not their design and were added by the previous owner when they
removed the over below the stove top and installed the conv/micro above the
stove top.
4.  The trailer is heavy compared to the Excella and requires much more
power from the Power Stroke engine and more patience from the driver on
mountains. And it backs differently from the bumper hitch, thus I am
relearning how to back into a space. I have come to really appreciate the
pull thrus. hi hi

Other problems encountered were the fault of the owners ignorance and not a
problem with Airstream. It does take longer to sit up and get ready to pull
out, but then there is many more things to do so that is not a real
problem. Besides we are not supposed to be in a hurry now that we are both
retired.

If anyone has any specific questions please feel free to contact me. We
have not decided to sell the Excella yet and we will drive the Integrity
for a while longer to see if we can really love a large white whale. Sorry
this is so long.

George and Jeri
'96 Integrity
'88 Excella