Re: [A/S] 2 questions: '79@ 31'

Hi, Chris...

It's not uncommon for plywood, or any other sub floor the become
discolored at the edges. Usually it's cause by the dust that settles
though the carpets over the years. I saw the same sort of thing when I
replaced the carpet in my house. The "softer" areas should be looked at
closer. If you probe them with a small philips how far does it
penetrate. If it goes in easily and deeper than the first layer of
veneer, you probably have rot happening, if it only penetrates the first
layer, it's probably soft spots in the veneer.

The shower drain should be a screw it fitting. There is a tool that you
can get to remove it, but I have always had success using three screw
drivers. I put 2 down into the drain, opposite each other, then slip the
third in between and turn the fitting. You do have to take it easy, if
you over do on a tight fitting you can break the strainer out. If it is
really tight I pour some boiling water down the drain to loosen up the
curd and pipe compound.

Hope this helps.

regards...
Jim