[A/S] Re: bearings and brakes

Hi;

When I picked up my '78 31' International Sovereign in Fargo ND last
week, I had to replace two magnets to make all the brakes work.  They
cost me $17 each at a local axle parts place, so I think price has to
do with the particular retailer, and then the added margin of profit
required by the RV service center.  They were not the Kelsey Hayes
brand, but the holes were the same size, and the same place on the
magnet.  They also work great.  I do feel however, as others do, that
getting a "loaded backing plate" simplifies things an awful lot.  And
at Charlie's location - where they are $68 each, it's a deal like
Manhattan. (when it was purchased from the Indians)(who are now
Native Americans) Now in my case, the brakes on the trailer had
probably never been used, as there was a six wire umbilical instead
of a seven, and the wire to the brakes was not connected.  When I
opened up the drums, they were brand new.  They didn't even have
scoring on them from contact with the shoes.  The shoes were full
thickness too.  The only thing that was a problem was the wires being
broken off right at the two front magnets, and adjustments.  So, in
this instance, I would not have gone with new backing plates.