Re: [A/S] Re: Where to begin

Paul,
Keep in mind that the older Airstreams don't weigh any where near what newer
ones weigh. I own a 57 Sovereign of the Road (30') and it weighs only
3900lbs. I also have a 59 Ambassador International (28") and it weighs only
3750 lbs. I towed both of them home from PA to Upstate NY with a 90 1/2 ton
Chev 4X4 and they towed great. I have since purchased 3/4 ton Diesel
Suburban as it fits my family better. Trailers from the 60's were heavier
and  in the 70's they gained even more weight for a given length. The weight
gain came from additional width, height and probably more sophisticated
appliances. My trailers are only 7' wide and from what I've read, several
inches lower than more modern ones. I don't have to use extended mirrors
either. They suit me well but I'm only 5' 10". I do agree that when it comes
to tow vehicles, bigger is better.
Hope this helps you out,
Colin