[A/S] 78 Soverign door hinge nightmare

Greetings all. We recently purchased a 78 31' Soverign.
Trying to get it set up for the 89 year old mother until we can build
her a cottage on our land.
Well now how in the heck do you tighten those dang door hinges. All
the bolts were loose. Was able to pull out three of them but now
can't get any back in to grip. My theory is there were unsecured nuts
that have fallen down.  Looks like the only solution is to cut a hole
from the inside.
Is there anyway around this?
And are these things always a nightmare to work on?
Did they shoot the engineer that put in the door hinges?
Thanks in advance
George