Re: [A/S] Cold weather camping

Hi Terry,

I gave my opinions on this subject a few days ago, but it won't hurt to give
you some free advice.  It's worth what it costs  you!  Besides, there will
be lots of posts

Anyway, I'm a newbee to towing, but several years along the restoration
pathway.  I understand the "original" heating systems used in both my '74
Argosy and '69 Safari.  Both vent heat from the heater into critical areas
that might freeze.  You must know that these areas are adequately insulated
and provide for circulation around the holding tanks and plumbing to prevent
freeze.  Without furnace heat, the entire system is compromised and plumbing
and holding tanks can freeze.  Not my opinion, just plain fact!

For example, my Argosy had the gray water tank changed sometime in the past
and the insulation around the discharge port was not replaced.  Also, the
baffles and insulation around the black water tank were not replaced -
rather left open to the elements (rodents included).  I know this!  Under no
circumstance would I allow the plumbing to hold water during freezing
weather.

As I explained in my previous post, the hot water tank ( if left with heat)
will be OK.  With the furnace running, it might keep some interior pipes
from freezing; however, the holding tanks would freeze.  Copper pipes in
hidden areas, like near the shower mixing valve and under the refrigerator
will freeze first.  With AC electric, you could use electric heating tape
for the purpose in these areas.  The stuff has a thermostat and will turn on
when the temperature says it's needed.  Without AC electric and there's any
chance that the plumbing will freeze, use antifreeze or drain the lines.

With a bypass for the empty water heater, at least it would be protected.
The water pump and water lines most likely won't hold more than a quart of
antifreeze.  Wouldn't hurt to keep the lines filled with antifreeze during
the coldest part of the night.  When a toilet flush is necessary, a bit of
water from a gallon jug could substitute.  Otherwise, the pump would draw
from the potable water tank as it would take quite a while to freeze.  The
plumbing from the potable water tank to the pump must be protected, possibly
with heating tape.  Give a lot of thought to putting the new insulation over
all existing pipes  and  the water pump.

I think you read one post where a porta potty is an OK for freezing weather
as it sits in the heated space of the trailer.  Most likely easier to use
than trying to keep up with the antifreeze or dumping the lines.

The antifreeze from the lines and black water additives should lower the
freezing point of anything in the holding tanks.  I  add a bit to the gray
water tank to help lubricate the gate valves and help clean the tank of
gunk.

Believe it or not, T.P. causes a lot of problems, especially when the camper
tries to economize and not use real quality paper for the purpose.  An
alternative is to use plastic newspaper bags.  Place all T.P. in the plastic
bag and tie it off after each use.  Later, dispose of as you will - I won't
tell.

Finally, be absolutely-positively sure that you have enough propane for the
duration.  Nothing like an empty propane tank to keep the furnace running
throughout the night to drain a battery completely.  Be
absolutely-positively your ventilation system is as originally engineered by
Airstream and not compromised by replacements of components.

                                                  Regards, '74 Argosy, Joy