Re: [A/S] Hensley Hitch Install

Hi Mike,

With regard to refurbish of axles, Hensley won't work on axles over 20 years
old or something like that.  Only fix is to order new axles from Inland RV
(ca $800 plus shipping, taxes, and installation) as they have a sole source
contract for vintage Airstream axles.  Meaning, you can't get them anywhere
else! :(

My memory isn't very good, but I think the Airstream plant will handle axles
less than 20 years old.  Unfortunately, Airstream charges much more for
axles than Inland.  I was quoted something like $1500 per axle by Out of
Doors Mart in North Carolina.  I could be wrong about the years, about the
prices, but not that Inland and Airstream are the only source for Airstream
axles.

If you visit the Inland website, you can read about Airstream axles, wheels,
balancing wheels/tires, etc.  A great site worthy of any airstreamer
reading.

My axles are bad because the torsion arms have a positive angle with
moderate load.  Information from Inland is that axles prior to mid '74 will
deteriorate and need to be replaced.  This applies to both my '74 Argosy and
'69 Safari.  After mid '74, the axles have unlimited life and shouldn't need
replacement unless damaged.  Something about compounded rubber and natural
rubber?

                                               Regards, Joy