Re: [A/S] Hensley question

Hi Patti,

The grease zert that lubricates the spring bar up front has a spring loaded
nipple on the opposite end of the zert that slips into a groove in the
spring bar.  As a layman, I call a fixed protrusion a stud.  A spring loaded
protrusion, I call a nipple.  The groove is only on one side of the
springbar and tapers to
nothing at 90 degrees from center to both sides.  When the spring bar is
rotated out about 90 degrees, the nipple is depressed out of the groove and
the spring bar drops to the ground (takes a little nudging).  When  you
reinstall the spring bar, you wiggle the bar up/down with upward pressure
and it will depress the nipple.  Once depressed, the spring bar slips up and
is locked from falling out by the properly adjusted nipple (grease zert).
If you're not careful, you might get the spring bar in the pocket without
the nipple locking it in position.

Anyway, look at your hitch when you make a turn.  You'll see the grease zert
directly above the end of the spring bar with the 90 degree bend.  If you've
never serviced  your hitch, you'll have to take the spring bars out
frequently and lube them or add grease through the zert.

My whole point in making the comment, even though I reasoned the grease zert
wasn't your problem, was to alert you that one post recommending that you
screw the zert in until you felt the spring tension could destroy the zert.
IMHO!

BTW, do you use a check list.  I know this is standard for all you
experienced RVers, but it's almost mind boggling to remember all the things
that must be checked and rechecked.  Like leaving the tongue on the tongue
jack while adjusting the spring bar jacks.  Just a little thing, but it sure
makes adjusting the spring bars easy.   I have to raise the tongue with the
jack about 6 inches to make tightening the spring bar jacks.  Failure to do
this can make the adjustment feel very tight, when it's not! :(

It's a simple matter to rotate the jack so you can see the marks.  When the
bar is loose, pull the lower pin, rotate the column 180 degrees and then
replace the pin.  I'll agree that the marks are very difficult to see at my
age.  Most likely I'll paint the marks with white paint so I can find them
easily.

Because it's necessary to use the spring bar jacks for most all
hookup/unhook sessions, it's unlikely that loctite or any other compound
would solve your problem.  Only thing I could think of would be to have a
device made to slip on the top nut and held with a spring pin.  The
attachment could have a cable connecting both nuts to keep them from turning
under any condition.  Sort of like safety wiring on race motorcycles.

I found out the hard way about the tension on equalizer bars while towing
with my '91 van.  The service tech told me my rig was ready to roll.  I
induced a low speed swerve and almost lost everything.  The tech
demonstrated how to use a short section of pipe to hook on the stud  and pry
the arm up for more tension.  You know, one link, two links, until it seems
right and the tow/trailer are on the same level.  After the fact, I learned
that you NEVER adjust the tension without putting the weight on the tongue
jack.  Doing it the way the tech demonstrated breaks off the stud - an
expensive replacement.

You must have a substantial tow vehicle or you would have noticed that you
were riding a wild bronco with poor steering control when the spring bars
loosened.  Maybe this is why the road seemed so rough?  Even my Ford F250
feels the change in tension with the '74 Argosy 22. :)

If the loosening of the spring bar jack is a common problem, Hensley could
add a retainer stud on the nut so it could be locked in position, yet the
nut would be readily accessible for
use.

Off subject, but I'm on a roll .  . .

Fortunately, the new Tekonsha "Prodigy" brake controller has visible codes
to alert me to the electric connection to the trailer.  Seemed very easy to
adjust the unit.  Sure different than the Voyager I messed with earlier.

Got in another successful hookup/unhook of the Hensley and towed 20 miles to
get the picture for insurance for the Argosy.  Half of the trip was on sub
standard country roads as I live a bit off the main drag.

Ready or not, I'm on the road, nearly 8 feet wide, and can literally stop on
a dime! :)

                     '74 Argosy, Joy