Re: [A/S] Need Suggestions for a Ford PSD Tow vehicle

thanks Tom
interestingly, I got this from the powerstroke-diesel elist to which I posted
the same question:

===begin
If you can live with the smaller interior of the Excursion then that would be my
choice.  It uses the same engine that the pickups use with intercooler.  They
have more power than the van engine and can be chipped easier without exceeding
EGT.

2001 E-350 Van
  GVWR is 9,500 lbs for the regular van
  GVWR is 9,400 lbs for the extended van.
  GCVWR is 16,000 lbs with 3:55 axle
  GCVWR is 20,000 lbs with 4:10 axle

2001 Excursion
   GVWR is 8,900 for 4x2
   GVWR is 9,200 for 4x4
   GCVWR is 18,000 lbs with 3:73 axle
===end

so, the real problem is that without the intercooler, the van is derated
supposedly but makes it up with a 4.10 rear end.

cannot imagine why they cannot extend the front bumper about a foot or less and
add the intercooler.  much of it could be hung below the bumper.
sigh

chas