Re: [A/S] 72 Overlander Bowen Water Heater

Got good news and bad news!

First, the water heater in my '74 Argosy wouldn't hold air pressure.  I
assumed I had a problem as the previous owner had bypassed it.  Pulled it
out and replaced it.  Later filled it with water and no leaks?  Nope, opened
the pressure relief valve and let the tank come up to real pressure and
presto - lots of water out the bottom.  Removing the tank from the surround
and I found that the aluminum had corroded in two sections - total wasted
tank.

Bad news is that I replaced the 10 gallon in my '69 Safari with a 6 gallon
LP/EL.  Unlike other restorers, I opted to make a 3 inch platform for the 6
gallon tank and mate the surround with the upper part of the opening.  I put
an aluminum angle across the bottom side of the surround and then added a 3
inch skin patch.  The three inch patch is hidden by the lower portion of the
door and the trim strip.  Can't tell there's a patch.  Time will tell about
the elevated water tank.  I don't intend to travel with it filled at any
time.  I have a bypass installed so I can keep it empty if necessary.  If
you put the replacement directly on the floor, you'll have a patch showing
on the top.  If you go with a 10 gallon tank, then .  .  .

You'll find dealing with the foam covered water tank quite different from
the original sheet metal encased unit.

Been reading pretty good list reports about the tankless water heater and
you certainly should consider it as a suitable replacement.  The LP/EL tank
has a very rapid recovery for short showers.  Don't know about more than
one, but .  .  .

Anyway, don't screw with trying to think that the water isn't toast.
Replace it, get it right, tank or tankless and get on with more mundane
things! :)

                                           Regards, '74 Argosy, Joy