[A/S] B&M and Overlander goodies

We just returned from several days at a very pleasant family reunion
at an RV park - one of the real joys of having such wonderful toys.

The B&M aluminum pan I put on our Suburban is indeed from the same
company that you bought a Hydro-stick from in 1976, and I bought a
Trans-Go kit from in 1970. I was concerned about protecting the trans
from heat load as much as reasonably possible, but Step 1 was finding
out the operating temp.  Couldn't do that without paying to have a
fitting brazed into the steel original pan.  The B&M pan has drain
plug, but adapters can be an issue (I'm still seeking a solution for
putting a sending unit in the engine oil pan - dropping it apparently
involves dropping much of the front differential, and I've had zero
luck finding a 12mmx20 pitch drain plug adapter that will convert to
1/8 inch NPT thread of a sending unit). So I wound up getting the B&M
pan from Summit Racing (about $165, if memory serves).  It's heavy
duty, has mild finning on the bottom (mostly for looks is my guess),
and adds three quarts of capacity (which just increases briefly the
time it takes to get the whole load of fluid hot, again in my
opinion).  It's pretty thick and hard aluminum, but it was possible
to drill out a hole big enough for a temp fitting.  Besides looking
great, for  those few times I'm under the truck, the big hope is that
it's more efficient than the factory pan at transferring heat out of
the trans.  Because I didn't have a way to measure fluid temp before
the installation, I can't address that one for sure.  I can report,
however, that it takes a couple miles of So Calif grade (e.g. Cuesta)
to get the pan temp above 200 degrees.  That's low enough that I'm
not tempted to add another cooler to the circuit - yet.  I may change
my mind when we get heavily into the Sierras.

Regarding the Overlander, ours has a 120 watt solar panel, which is
quite wonderful, mounted over the rear vent.  This lead to replacing
the center vent with a Fantastic fan, which also is working
wonderfully (we've very seldom had occasion to use the air
conditioner yet).  We also have a propane catalytic heater on a
swing-out mount on the wall just in front of the 'fridge.  It
certainly puts out lots of heat, but we haven't yet had to use it on
a trip.  We just bought the Overlander and Suburban (from separate
sources) in February;  the solar system and catalytic heater were
installed by the previous owner (along with lots of other great
stuff).

Since you have a very similar rig, both tow vehicle and trailer, I'd
be happy to share/exchange info about them, on or off the list.

Stan