Re: [A/S] Tow Vehicles

Hi Jim

I will through in a different track for you to consider here.  We
often ride in the trailer over a test route we have to see how the
trailer reacts to different tires towvehicles hitches etc.  It is
really quite amazing the difference on some combinations it is almost
eire in the trailer there is no engine or other noise and the unit
just floats along,with others it will be so jarring you have to hang
on to something and everything in there is rattling and moving.

Any of the diesel trucks you will purchase are heavy duty 3/4 tons
with 6000 pound rear axle capacities.  Unless you carry something
very heavy in the box you will only have about 4000 pounds on that
6000 pound rear axle.  What this means is that the back of the truck
will ride quite hard. Because of the long wheelbase and the flex in
the truck frame you really don't perceive it much in the cab but the
trailer sure takes a pounding.

In 1969 most Airstreams were pulled by very soft riding sedans and
the few that used trucks tended to use 1/2 tons so the trailer was
not designed to take the stresses imposed by a stiffly sprung tow
vehicle.  In 1982 the chassis were stiffened considerably.  Your 69
will last much longer if you tow it with a more forgiving tow
vehicle.  It only weighs 5000 pounds and is very aerodynamic so there
is a wide range of vehicles that will tow it very nicely.

One of the great things about owning an Airstream is that you can
often tow it with a vehicle that suites your lifestyle when you are
not towing.

What do you drive now?

Andy