[A/S] Propane requlators and stuff

I have a 1993 21' Sovereign (which I've only owned a few
months) with the factory installed propane regulator.  When one tank
is empty the regulator is supposed to automatically switch to the
other tank but mine doesn't.  Or at least it didn't last
weekend.
And when it didn't automatically switch I turned the knob that
said "arrow points to supply tank", or something like that.
And
still nothing. (Yes the second tank was full.)  So I just switched
the two tanks and "lit" back up.  Am I doing something wrong?
 How
can I test the regulator and, if it's bad, can it be repaired or
will
I have to buy a new one?  (Something tells me they aren't cheap.)

And changing the subject a little, even though no one asked, here is
some additional input on a couple of previous posts.  My propane
tanks are less than 10 years old so I'll have them tested and if
they're OK I'll have them fitted with OPDs, since tanks last
a long time if not damaged.  My supplier charges $19.95 to do this in
addition to the cost of the re-fill.  As to the decibels question
concerning two generators being twice as loud as one, look at it like
this.  We're talking about sound WAVES, and when doing so the
intensity (loudness) of sound waves is directly proportional to the
distance from the source of the waves. (Same with light waves.) Light
and sound waves dissipate rapidly.  For instance, if you could only
see the light from a single100-watt bulb five miles away, could you
see the light from two side-by-side 100-watt bulbs ten miles away?
Or if a person talking in a normal voice (say 30 dba) could only be
heard ½ mile away, could two people, talking at the same level, at
the same time, be heard 1 mile away?  The answer in both cases is
no.  Even though the source has "doubled" the intensity of
each
source is the same. Additionally, the intensity of those waves
dissipates in relation to the square of the distance from the
source.  So the further from the source the harder it would be to
distinguish between one or two generators.  I don't remember (no
do I
care to remember) the formula for stuff like this – just throwing
it
out FYI.

Thanks for any advice on the regulator – if you've bothered
to read
this far.

Allan