Re: [A/S] wheel question

Harvey,
  That could be, but is not universal. I well remember trying to remove
the rear wheels on a 1959 Ford car that were frozen onto the hub. After
using a sledge hammer (unsuccessfully), I reinstalled the lug nuts
loosely and drove the car down the road, swerving from side to side. It
took a half mile of that treatment to break 'em loose.

My VW Jetta is FWD: the front hubs are mounted on a splined stub shaft,
held with a 32mm hex nut, and have a projection for the wheel to
register against. The rear drums/hubs are identical to older cars' front
drums in that they're like a trailer drum/hub, mounted on a stub shaft
with bearings, held with a hex nut. Again, there's a projection for the
wheel to register against.

I guess what both of us are saying is that "some" wheel setups don't
incorporate a surface on the drum/hub for the wheel to register against.
However, given a choice, *I* would much prefer to have wheels that are
mounted in that way, and I personally wouldn't use a wheel on a trailer
that didn't have such a setup if the original did register on the hub.

                          <<Jim>>