[A/S] Re: 2002 International 22

I saw Jack Canavera's reply, which is very comprehensive.  I too had
a Cutlass -- a 74 with a 350 and 170 hp.   It did  a pretty good job
on a Coleman camper (2000 lbs.)  and an occassional U Haul up to 4000
lbs.

I then had a 1979 Olds Delta 88 with a V6 engine, 110 hp, which
actually pulled the Coleman OK in flat Florida and dropped to 45 MPH
in FIRST gear the minute it hit any small hill anywhere.  I quickly
replaced it with a 1983 Olds V8 307 cid and 145 hp, which improved
enormously.  Pulled up to 5000 lb UHaul with it.

Manufacturers want everyone to move to the profitable SUV and
trucks.  They have won.  I now own a Mountaineer.  Most car towing
ratings have been either reduced to around 2000 lbs or even zero in
some cases.  The same cars like the Lincoln that in the early 90's
had a 5000 lb rating, now have 2000.  Same engine, rear end, etc..
Crazy.

I highly recommend the Hensley hitch.  I use my 2000 Mountaineer to
tow a 31 ft. 1983 Excella which weight 6200 as we load it.
Mountaineer has maximum capacity of 6,700 with a V8

Before the Hensley you could feel trucks passing you and made me slow
down to 55 to 60.  Now I feel absolutely nothing when passed and can
comfortably cruise 65 to 70 mph.

You can probably experience the same in the Lincoln.

Make sure a mechanic checks it and that you have a transmission
cooler installed in front of the radiator.

Let us know how you make out.

M. Ferro
83 Excella 00 Mountaineer
Hensley