Re: [A/S] Re: Overload Devices On Tow Vehicles

Max,
  I've experimented a bit with air bag and WD bar settings and am pretty
well convinced that things are nearly optimum. The rig handles very
well, I can load the hell outa the truck (I sometimes haul an electric
golf cart along), and anything different that I've tried has degraded
the handling.

As far as "having to pull up one more link on the chain", it's not
really possible for anyone to say that without physically looking at a
particular setup because of all the variables. For instance, I use the
end link on the chains ("drop no links"), but if the chain was a couple
of links longer, I'd be "dropping 2 links". I'm unaware of any standards
on WD bar chain lengths.

I do think you're correct that I need different WD bars, perhaps 750#
rating.

When I wrote that eariler message, I indicated that I had tried changing
chain length, but upon further reflection, I realized that instead of
pulling up another link, I had tilted the hitch ball rearward. This has
the same effect, as it tilts the WD bars downward, increasing the
tension. Without some careful measurements, I can't say exactly how much
additional tension I added, but it might have even been MORE than one
additional link. I do know that the handling was degraded markedly, the
rig seemed to want to wander all over the place. You could literally
tell it from the passenger seat; returning to the previous setup
restored the handling.

Something I didn't mention in my other message about A-Weigh-We-Go was
the fact that they weigh every single wheel individually. This tells you
of side-to-side imbalances. Our rig was within 100# or so side-to-side
and was well within all ratings. Although I was pretty sure of the
"within ratings", it was very nice to KNOW all the parameters. Guessing
isn't good.

                              <<Jim>>