Re: [A/S] Re: Overload Devices On Tow Vehicles

Jim,

I'd like to experience one of those weighing exercises.  I think it would be
a good learning experience.  I have never taken the time (or found a scale
operator with sufficient patience) to weigh each axle of my truck and
trailer with and without equalizer bars.  I have on several occasions
stopped at state weigh scales on the interstate highways when traveling to
get axle weights and gross combined weight but that has always been with
equalizer bars attached.  I have not tried to weigh with and without
equalizer bars as I didn't figure the truckers in line behind me would be
very understanding about a clown with a pickup and Airstream holding them up
playing on their weight scales.

I always lift the trailer tongue with the hitch jack enough to attach the
chains and latch the flip-up brackets by hand.  Same when unhitching.  I
raise the trailer far enough to allow releasing the flip-up brackets by hand
only.  I never use a bar or tire tool because I have never developed a
fondness for wrestling with the bars under tension.  Using a tow vehicle
with softer rear springs, I guess someone would have little choice but to
tension the bars more severely than I do.

Harvey