Re: [A/S] Hitch receiver Failures

Harvey:

         At the 2000 Sarasota (Florida State) rally, the DOT conducted an
inspection of all trailer hitch platforms, and found a lot (I forget the
actual numbers) of incipient failures and some downright dangerous
ones.  Since then, I've heard Doug Showker's (Reese) safety seminars
several times; he shows examples of what to look for.  It takes a bright
light to inspect a hitch properly.
         About welding platforms to tow vehicles:  I thought is was illegal
to do that, that there was some regulation that required bolts.  Maybe what
I heard was a state, rather than a national (federal) regulation.
         Bottom line for me, following the 2000 rally, was never to tow
without inspecting the platform first, and to re-torque the bolts, too (I
found loose bolts on my previous (1984) Burb).  Top O'Georgia now offers a
comprehensive trailer inspection at its rallies, which includes a visual
inspection of the platform.

- Dick
(5368)